Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Luis Hernandez (2B, Tigres de Aragua): 2-for-5, 1 R, 1 2B. There is no denying the consistency that Hernandez has shown in 25 games this winter in the VWL. So far, the switch-hitting infielder has gone 36-for-97. He’s organizational depth at best, but his winter showing might indicate that he can be at least goodorganizational depth.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 1-for-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K. After going hitless in three straight games last week, Carrera seems to be exiting his slump as the left-handed hitter has now hit in two straight contests. Overall, he has gone 30-for-108 in 29 games.
- Asdrubal Cabrera (SS, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-3, 1 2B, 1 BB. Cabrera continues to hit at a nice clip and has now gone 13-for-44 in 10 games. The switch-hitting shortstop also managed to record his fourth extra-base hit of the winter season on Friday with a double.
- Jesus Aguilar (1B, Leones del Caracas): 1-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K. Aguilar made a rare appearance on Friday as it was his first appearance in a VWL game in nearly ten days. While his appearances are few and far between these days, he did manage to make the most of it as he grabbed a single and a walk. Overall, the right-handed slugger has gone 16-for-59 in 21 games this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (SS, Toros del Este): 0-for-4. Well, there’s a surprise. Ramirez actually went hitless in a contest, which has not happened very much this winter. The young infielder has gone 46-for-150 this winter, so the numbers are still plenty good.
- Juan Diaz (SS, Estrellas de Oriente): 0-for-2. Diaz only got two at-bats before being replaced in the Friday’s contest, and the switch-hitter was unable to muster a hit. He has gone 30-for-120 overall this winter.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 2-for-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K. Santana had been arguably the biggest disappointment of the winter season, but the key words there are had been. After going 14-for-71 in 20 games, Santana has now exploded and gone 4-for-7 with a double, a home run and four RBI in two DWL playoff games. Hopefully the sudden surge is a sign of more good things to come.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Rob Bryson (Criollos de Caguas): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 K. While Bryson did allow one hit on Friday, he still has yet to allow an earned run this winter, and the numbers continue to get better by the day. In 15 games and 15 1/3 innings of work this winter, Bryson has a 0.00 ERA, has allowed only five hits and struck out 19 batters.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-2, 2 R, 1 3B, 2 BB. Campbell had another outstanding showing on Friday as he got on base on three occasions. In 24 games, the left-handed hitting Campbell has now gone 24-for-82 with 11 walks and 15 strikeouts.
- Mitch Nilsson (DH, Brisbane Bandits): 1-for-3, 2 K. This was actually Nilsson’s first appearance with Brisbane this winter, and the switch-hitter collected one hit. He has a disappointing season with the Mahoning Valley Scrappers this past season, so it will be interesting to see how Nilsson performs for the rest of the winter season.