Around the Farm (ATF) takes a quick look at some of the daily performances by Indians prospects. This is a special fall and winter ball version of ATF that recaps all the offseason action by Indians players in the Arizona Fall League (AFL) and the Caribbean Leagues. The positions listed below are where the player was playing in the game.
Here is the rundown of what Indians players in fall and winter ball did yesterday.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Asdrubal Cabrera (DH, Leones del Caracas): 2-for-6, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 2 K. It’s hard not to like the game here by Cabrera as he notched two hits, and they were both of the extra-base variety. So far, Cabrera has now gone 11-for-36 in eight games with two doubles, a home run and four RBI. Hopefully all this winter action is helping him and also a sign that he’ll be a sure bet to be in shape come spring training.
- Ezequiel Carrera (LF, Navegantes del Magallanes): 0-for-3, 1 R, 1 BB. Carrera’s average has taken a pretty big hit because of some poor performances this week. Carrera has now gone 0-for-9 in his last three games played and his average is now .280 in 27 games this winter.
Dominican Winter League
- Jose Ramirez (SS, Toros del Este): 1-for-4, 1 K. Ramirez may have only gotten one hit Friday, but it keeps his hit streak alive at four games now. With Toros del Este’s win, the team has now clinched a spot in the DWL playoffs, so Ramirez will likely have more opportunities to impress.
- Mike McDade (1B, Toros del Este): 0-for-3, 1 BB. McDade has now gone 22-for-77 this winter, which is not too shabby. With Russ Canzler being claimed today by McDade’s former team, the Toronto Blue Jays, the road to Cleveland just got a bit easier for the switch-hitting first baseman.
- Carlos Santana (DH, Leones del Escogido): 0-for-3, 1 BB, 2 K. Santana has now gone 13-for-68 (.191) this winter. He has 13 walks, which is good, but he also has 18 strikeouts. Leones del Escogido will play tonight in a one-game playoff with Gigantes del Cibao for the final DWL playoff spot, so perhaps Santana will have an opportunity to redeem himself.
- Delvi Cid (PH-CF, Aguilas Cibaenas): 0-for-2. Cid has rarely gotten playing time this winter, which is evidenced by the fact that his two at-bats Friday equals his previous total all winter long. Unfortunately, the right-handed hitting Cid has gone hitless in all four attempts.
- Manny Ramirez (DH, Aguilas Cibaenas): 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 1 K. A line like this was just too good to ignore. Manny hit his third and fourth home runs of the winter season Friday. Manny remains a free agent but perhaps some teams have noticed his strong winter showing (.293 average) and may give him a look. I’m all for nostalgia, but it’s probably best that that team is not Cleveland.
Puerto Rican Winter League
- Roberto Perez (C, Indios de Mayaguez): 1-for-3, 1 BB, 1 K. Perez built off a strong Thursday showing and recorded one hit Friday. The right-handed hitter has now gone 15-for-56 in 17 games this winter.
- Rob Bryson (RP, Criollos de Caguas): 1.1 IP, 2 K. Bryson has been brilliant all winter, and that remained the case on Friday. He faced four batters and recorded two strikeouts along the way. Bryson has still yet to allow a run a 14 2/3 innings of work this winter.
Australian Baseball League
- Andrew Campbell (LF, Brisbane Bandits): 3-for-5, 1 R. Campbell continues to rake in the ABL, and the left-handed hitter has now gone 22-for-70 in 20 games this winter.
- Ryan Battaglia (C, Brisbane Bandits): 2-for-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI. Battaglia continues to show impressive power this winter. Of his 12 hits, six have gone for extra bases. Before he’s considered a prospect, he’ll have to hit in the states, but his line of .286/.375/.548 is impressive.